Monday, September 22, 2008

RaftinG

It was the first day of my summer vacations, and what more could i ask for than the family hang out of rafting my father had planned for us. On top of that,what really made it exciting for me is the fact that my father knew a lot about rafting and we always used to imagine how it would be when he used to share his past experiences of rafting with the family.
We were in the car and suddenly my heart started beating faster when my father said "we are only five minutes away"
I got off the car, walked for a short five minutes till i saw something and stood as and where i was. The sight was not as pleasing as i thought it would be. Looking at the enormous river with that loud noise of the water rushing past and hitting the rocks in its way, so up close was, well, scary. The sight of it gave me shivers down my spine.
The white water as it is called with its' powerful waves evoked many feelings in me. None of them put me in the mood for adventure though.
It was only when my father held me by the arm and pushed me towards our raft that i realized i was stepping backwards. I dare not say anything, after all which guy would want to sound like a chicken in front of his younger siblings. The sound of the gushing waves, and splashes of water hitting against those huge rocks, were beginning to numb me from within, to the extent that all i could actually hear was silence.
We all took our positions on the raft, and off we went on our not so little adventure, entirely on natures' terms. Only that, nature just didnt seem too happy this afternoon.
I closed my eyes and started feeling the bumps. The water just pushed us along with it, taking us closer to that steep cliff just a few hundred meters away from us. The moment i was dreading, or was it the time to say goodbye to all your loved ones?, was getting closer.
"AAAHHhhhhh" everyone screamed as we were thrown down the cliff, drenched with water, my guts were officialy tested to their limits. Just then, a few moments later i felt a lack of motion. I finally decided to open my eyes and was amazed at what i saw. The river had taken a turn and we were in the middle of a patch of much stable waters.
I could not help but be in awe of the beautiful views around me. It was a scene from heaven. The water, and well even nature, finally seemed so tranquil and at peace. We kept moving on and on for around a kilometer till I gained my senses back. I had my eyes glued to the constantly changing views and the blanket of nature draped all the way. The beautiful waterfalls and springs, the endless shapes and forms of those gigantic rocks and trees which were the height of a five storey building, made me feel so belittled and humbled and I realized that it would not have felt this amazing had I not been through the roughness of the water tossing us around like toys.
Rafting finally showed its special dimension, the very personal contact to the pureness of nature. Every new kilometer, even so a meter, all along the way, giving another hue, another sight-seeing, another challenge.
This is exactly like our lives, with ups and downs throughout the ride. And who would appreciate the good things in life, if we were in a state of eutopia. So, I guess it is good to be challenged every once in a while, because it makes us value the happy moments much more.

I finally found my breath of fresh and heavenly `minty' air after that bitter sweet (cliffy and rocky) experience.

Speaking of challenges, the raft is about to hit another strong current. I should take my position, its time for another.... After eight Mint ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i call it short and precise :P nice neways